Whether it’s a workplace or a household, adhesives are a part of modern lifestyle. Students and even working adults require crafting glue all the time and some semi-industrial adhesives are used in household repairs. Such a wide use of adhesives in different commercial and non-commercial aspects make them a global industry. The global adhesive industry is full of companies that manufacture different adhesives and some of those specialize in industrial and/or non-industrial types of adhesives. Some common types of industrial adhesives include resin, anaerobic adhesives, hot melt adhesives, contact spray adhesives, acrylic, conductive epoxy adhesives, pressure adhesives, etc. On the other hand, craft glue is another category of adhesives that are used non-commercially and they consist of white craft glue and yellow wood glue. White craft glue takes about 1 hour to set and 24 hours to cure whereas yellow wood glue takes less than an hour to set and around 24 to reach its full strength.
How to Start a Business in the Adhesive Market?
An adhesive business does not require too much capital investment as the raw materials are not as expensive as many other manufacturing businesses. However, it requires an adequate market understanding and a thorough competitive analysis. Here are a few pointers that put emphasis on the factors that affect the adhesive market.
- The total value of the global adhesive market is approximately $45.3 billion which is expected to reach $51.7 billion by 2022. The market is growing at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 4.5 percent and the current global demand of adhesive is 13.02 MMT which is expected to be 15.07 MMT by 2022. The APAC region contributes to the highest demand for adhesives at a regional level. In addition, the demand for bio-adhesives is also growing at a CAGR of 2-3 percent which is expected to grow at a rate of 10-12 percent in the next 7 years.
- A competitive analysis of the global adhesive market suggests that the market is highly competitive and fragmented. The market has witnessed a number of mergers and acquisitions (M&A) since 2015 and more are expected in the upcoming years. The major global players in the industry are Henkel, H.B Fuller, Bostik, Sika, Dow, and Royal Adhesives. These players occupy a market share of 25 percent, 5 percent, 4 percent, 3 percent, 2 percent, and 1 percent respectively. These contribute a total of 40 percent market share whereas the 60 percent market is highly fragmented, and is occupied by mid and small-sized regional enterprises.
- A sustainable adhesive business starts with a well-formed business plan and some key decisions such as which type of adhesive should be manufactured and the industry that a business wants to cater to. The choice of manufacturing a specific type of adhesive depends on the available technologies such as water-based adhesives, hot melt adhesives, solvent-based adhesives, and reactive adhesives. Water-based adhesives hold the maximum market share of 45 percent whereas the others hold 27 percent, 17 percent, and 11 percent respectively. All these technologies can be used for manufacturing acrylic, Polyvinyl Acetate (PVA), polyurethane, styrenic block, epoxy, Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate (EVA), and silicon-based adhesives. Among these, acrylic and PVA hold the maximum market share of 35 percent and 29 percent respectively. On the other hand, the industries that adhesive as an important component of their manufacturing processes include laminates, Woodstock, furnishings, automotive, construction, footwear, and DIY adhesives.
- In addition, water-based adhesives that also have the highest market share are aggressively being used in Europe. The reason is their environment-friendly qualities. Water-based adhesives do not use harsh chemicals. Instead, they incorporate Vinyl Acetate Monomer (VAM), starch, and Dextrin that are biodegradable and produce extremely low carbon emissions. This is going to be another growth driving factor in the global adhesive market due to rising concerns for the environment.
- New enterprises can also focus on the packaging industry that largely caters to the food and beverage industry. This is one of the largest growing industries across the globe due to rising disposable incomes in the emerging economies. The food and beverage industry largely uses water-based adhesives that occupy more than 70 percent of the total share of adhesive market in this industry. These are going to be the key factors in the future growth of the adhesive industry.
- Once the key decision such as type of adhesive and the choice of the industry are final, the business can focus on the secondary crucial factors such as acquiring capital, processing and manufacturing facilities, and licenses and permissions.
Industrial adhesives usually incorporate highly Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) that is becoming a major reason for the fall in their global demand. Global warming and increasing toxicity in the environment are going to be the major reasons that water-based adhesives with extremely low toxicity levels are going to show higher demand in the near future.